JOIN EL PASO&RSQUO;S FINEST
Thank you for your interest in joining the El Paso Police Department. Your desire to serve the citizens of El Paso as a member of El Paso’s Finest is applauded. The EPPD seeks only the most qualified candidates to join the officers who comprise El Paso’s finest. We have a proud tradition in public safety. Our commissioned officers, civilian support staff, and volunteers are dedicated to making the City of El Paso the safest city in the United States. Below, you will find detailed information that will assist you understand our hiring process.
WHY JOIN THE EPPD?
- Diversified assignments
- Competitive wages
- Guaranteed wage increases
- Excellent medical benefits
- 120-hours vacation annually
- 120-hours sick leave annually
- 9 paid holidays
- Tuition assistance/reimbursement
- Education/Advancement incentive pay
- VA education benefits
- Career progression
- Cross Fit physical training system
Please visit the City of El Paso’s web page at www.elpasotexas.gov
, click on City Jobs and complete and submit an application for the position of Police Trainee. Our website www.eppd.org
provides a complete list of the job requirements, hiring process and salary and benefits.
As you go through this lengthy process, please keep this in mind…The amount of initiative, thoroughness, and responsibility you exhibit throughout this process speaks towards your judgment: one of the most important characteristics of a Police Officer. The manner in which you conduct yourself at all times will likewise be considered as evidence of your suitability for this position. The most qualified applicant will be considered for a hiring interview.
APPLICATION FILING PERIOD
- Applications for the 119th academy class will be accepted from September 18th-October 2nd, 2014. The academy is tentatively scheduled to begin in the summer of 2015.
- Applications must be completed online by visiting www.elpasotexas.gov
- Note: Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. This position will close when a preset number of qualified applications have been received.
- The written examination will be administered from October 13- October 15, 2014.
- The written exam assesses abilities critical to law enforcement such as reading, writing and decision making skills.
The El Paso Police Department utilizes the law enforcement examination provided by Ergometrics to evaluate applicants for the positions of Police Trainee, Certified Peace Officer and Police Officer. Applicants may visit the Ergometrics website at http://ergometrics.org/
to learn more about the written examination.
JOB SIMULATION TEST
OUT OF TOWN APPLICANTS
- Applicants who achieve a passing score on the Written Exam and submit a timely Comprehensive Background Packet will be invited to the Job Simulation Test.
- Applicants are afforded (2) two opportunities to pass the job simulation test.
- The job simulation test consists of four events, pursuit agility course, wall climb, body drag and 500 yard pursuit run.
- The applicant must complete the 180 foot pursuit agility course in 39 seconds or less.
- The applicant must complete the six foot wall climb in 17 seconds or less.
- The applicant must drag the 185 lbs dummy 30 feet in 16 seconds or less.
- The applicant must complete the 500-yard pursuit run in 152 seconds or less.
Applicants who successfully achieve a passing score on both testing components will be placed on the eligible list and may be considered for a hiring interview.
- The written exam as well as job simulation test will be scheduled at a later date; applicants will be notified via email.