Human Resources | Risk Management

Planning and Inspections

Employee Services


Please click a service below:

El Paso City Seal

Information about EAP

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides free and confidential assessment, short-term counseling, prevention, education, and referral services for you and your dependents. The benefit is provided through Deer Oaks EAP Services. A trained counselor is avaiable24/7, 365 days of the year to help you and your dependents cope with life’s stressors so that you can live a happy productive lifestyle. Simply call the toll free number or visit the EAP website.

It is difficult to be at your best when you are concerned about emotional, Health, Financial, legal, child/eldercare, or family problems. Resolving your personal concerns can help you:

  • Increase your morale & well-being
  • Stay focused on your goals
  • Achieve a healthy balance in your life
  • Establish positive relationships
  • Remain productive and efficient
  • Decrease your overall stress level

Type of Problems covered:

  • Stress, Tension, Anxiety
  • Depression, Grief
  • Marital/Family Problems
  • Work-Related Difficulties
  • Legal/Financial Concerns
  • Health and wellness Issues
  • Trauma Recovery
  • Substance Abuse

Services Offered:

  • Assessments, Guidance & Solutions
  • Short-Term Counseling
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Community & Health Plan Referrals
  • Employee Wellness Training
  • Online Tools, Tips, & Videos
  • Health & Wellness Education
  • Legal & Financial Consultations
  • Work/Life Balance Coaching
  • Child/Eldercare Resources
  • Substance Abuse Services


EAP E-Mail

EAP Website

Ask HR a Question

To ask HR a question please click here or email

Ask Insurance and Benefits a Question

To ask Insurance and Benefits a question please email

Tuition Assistance Program

The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is available to all regular City employees after completion of six months of continuous service. Assistance is available to employees who have successfully completed courses that are related to either their current position or to a position or career with the City of El Paso. The courses may be for a degree or certificate from a nationally accredited college, university, trade school or technical institution. The City will reimburse up to 80% of the cost of tuition and applicable fees for college courses, based on the current tuition rates set forth by the University of Texas at El Paso. To qualify for reimbursement or advancement, employees must file a program application with the Human Resources Department. For more information contact the Organizational Development section at:

To view the complete TAP Policy click here

Ask Payroll a Question

To ask HR a question please email

Transfer List

As stated in CSC Rules and Regulations, Rule 5 Section 12:
Whenever an employee in any department of the City wishes to transfer to a position in another department, the employee must be recommended by the transferring department and must have not been disciplined or placed on a performance improvement plan in the last 12 months. Employee shall retain his grade and pay rate, provided: (Amended 7/31/07, 8/25/09, 9/17/13)

The position the employee wishes to transfer to must be in the same class and grade as the one from which the transfer is to be made; or The employee has been performing services substantially similar in nature and having similar requirements, as to education and experience to those of the new position, as determined by the Human Resources Director. Seniority credit where applicable will be given to the employee for the number of years he has been performing similar work in the former department. (Amended 2/1/94, 8/7/07)

Note: The job title the employee is currently in must exist in the department making the selection. Only regular City employees are eligible for transfer.

Employees wishing to be placed on the transfer list must fill out the form below and submit the original to the Civil Service Commission Recorder located in the Human Resources Department.

Career Counseling

Coming Soon

Mediation (to include facilitated discussion)

Mediation is a process where people meet with neutral mediators in a confidential setting to resolve conflicts in the workplace. The Mediator is provided by the Human Resources and is coordinated by the Human Resources Department. An alternate form of dispute resolution is a facilitated discussion. If you wish to request mediation or a facilitated discussion, contact the Organizational Development section at

Request for Reasonable Accommodation

The Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination against qualified disabled persons. Should you need to request a consultation to discuss a request for reasonable accommodation, please contact a member of the Organizational Development team at Insurance And Benefits section at:

Request for Transitional Duty (Return to Duty with Medical or Physical Restrictions policy)

Available to employees who are released back to work with restrictions. This can be for work-related injuries or personal medical conditions. It is temporary modified duty for 90 days. The process for requesting transitional duty is as follows:

  1. Employee must take medical documentation with the restrictions to their HR or payroll section.
  2. HR/payroll and employee’s supervisor will review job description and restrictions.
  3. Employee will be notified if the department can accommodate with the restrictions. Employee will be notified if the transitional duty is approved or denied by the employee’s department and a letter to follow from the HR department.

Request for FMLA

The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) allows eligible employees to take job-protected, unpaid leave, or to substitute appropriate paid leave if the employee has earned or accrued it, for up to a total of 12 workweeks in a 12 month period for qualifying reasons. Qualifying reasons are listed below. Employees on FMLA are responsible for maintaining premium payments to their pension and insurance during the leave period.

The employee has the right to return to the same position or an equivalent position with equivalent pay, benefits, and working conditions at the conclusion of the leave. The taking of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any benefit that accrued prior to the start of the leave.

You are eligible for leave (either paid or unpaid) under FMLA if you:

  • Have been employed by the City of El Paso for at least 12 months Employment does not have to have been continuous, except that the separate periods of employment in which the break in service exceeds 7 years are not used to determine eligibility; and
  • Worked at least 1,250 actual work hours during the 12-month period prior to the first day of the leave. Only time actually worked is used in the calculation. The City uses a “rolling” 12 month period; and
  • Have not already used 12 weeks of FMLA entitlement in the past 12 months; and
  • Must be for a qualifying reason.
  • NOTE: Time in the military service covered under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) will count towards fulfilling the length of employment and hours of work requirements to be eligible for an FMLA leave. The 7-year break in service rule does not apply to military service.

Qualifying reasons for FMLA are:

  • Birth of a child and to care for a newborn child of the employee.
  • Placement of a child with the employee through adoption or foster care.
  • Care for any of the following who has a “Serious Health Condition”: the employee’s spouse, the employee’s child under the age of 18, or the employee’s parent.
  • Care for the employee’s child 18 years or older who has a “Serious Health Condition” and is incapable of self-care because of mental or physical disability.
  • A “Serious Health Condition” that renders the employee unable to perform the functions of his or her job. A Serious Health Condition is defined as:
    • A condition involving a period of incapacity of more than three (3) consecutive calendar days or two or more visits to a healthcare provider. The two visits must occur in person within thirty (30) days of the first day of the incapacity. The first visit to the healthcare provider must take place within seven days of the first day of incapacity.
    • The incapacity is three consecutive calendar days and includes a regimen of continuing treatment (prescribed RX, physical therapy, chemo, etc.). The first visit to the healthcare provider must take place within seven days of the first day of incapacity.
    • The incapacity involving a chronic condition, at least two visits per year to a healthcare provider are required. This Intermittent Leave is covered under FMLA, but the physician must specifically complete the sections regarding Intermittent Leave. If not complete, Intermittent Leave cannot be approved. Once an employee is approved for Intermittent Leave and only absent within the doctor’s estimated timeframe, the employer cannot ask for doctor’s notes in order to verify illness. Only after a 6-month timeframe or if the employee starts missing more time than the doctor estimated can the employer request additional information from the physician.
  • A qualifying exigency which occurs while the employee’s spouse, child, or parent is a member of a Reserve component or a retired member of the Regular Armed Forces or Reserves and is on active duty or on a Federal call to active duty. Qualifying exigencies to manage the service member’s affairs are described on the DOL form Certification of Qualifying Exigency for Military Family Leave.
  • Care for a service member who has suffered a serious injury or illness in the line of duty if the employee has a qualified family relationship with the covered service member. A qualified family relationship is a spouse, domestic partner, parent child, or next of kin.

Employees are responsible for:

  • Providing their department with a 30-day advance notice of the need to take FMLA leave, when the need is foreseeable. If the FMLA is unforeseeable, the employee should notify his department “As soon as Practicable”. However, notice of the need for “FMLA should not be given more than two business days after returning to work.
  • Completing the “Request for Family or Medical Leave” Form immediately.
  • Informing his supervisor when they are going to work for a FMLA reason.
  • Providing required supporting documentation (DOL Certification form, Birth Certificate, Adoption, Military orders, etc.) within the requested time.
  • Employees who do not provide the required FMLA documentation to the City within the requested time may lose their FMLA Status and their leave time changed from paid to unpaid. Failure to provide the required documentation will be deemed as “Unauthorized leave without pay”.
  • Employees should contact the Pension Office and Insurance & Benefits in order to safeguard their benefits.

NOTE: Employees out on Worker’ Compensation are not required to provide the DOL Certification Form. The DWC forms that are provided are adequate documentation for verification purposes.

If further information is needed visit the US Department of Labor FMLA website:


Request for Medical LOA

Coming Soon

Request for shared leave

Coming Soon

Disciplinary Policy and Matrix

The City’s Discipline Policy and Matrix was created to communicate the goal of becoming a high performance organization. The policy and matrix are designed to guide employees toward acceptable performance. Progressive discipline is used based on the type and quantity of violations of City policy or rule; see policy for more details.

Appeal to CSC

Employees who wish to file appeals of Suspension, Demotion or Termination must follow the following steps:

  1. Employee must bring complete Notice of Suspension, Termination, or Demotion to the Civil Service Commission (CSC) Recorder located in the City’s Human Resources Department.
  2. The employee must fill out the appropriate appeal form (located below) and file it with the CSC Recorder who will explain the process.
  3. CSC Recorder will assign a CSC Hearing Officer and CSC Case# to appeal filed.
  4. The employee will be notified by letter of the assigned CSC Hearing Officer to their appeal.

If you have further questions you can call the City’s Human Resources Department at 212-0045 and request to speak with the CSC Recorder.

How to file a Formal Complaint

The City desires to provide and maintain a harmonious work environment that is free of hostility and discrimination. If you ever need to file a complaint the form, 'Discrimination/Harassment Complaint Form' may be used to communicate the details of your good faith complaint. The form can be found on the Public drive under City forms folder or via the following path: City Public drive > City Forms folder > Complaint Form folder

How to file a Grievance

Employees have the right to file a grievance in accordance with Rule 14. In order to properly file a grievance the attached form must be used and processed according to the timelines provided. The grievance process is not intended to be used for conflict in the work place or complaints that may be filed relating to matters such as sexual harassment, hostile workplace claims or retaliation.

To start the Grievance process employees must fill out the Grievance form within ten (10) days of the incident causing the grievance. The Grievance process can be found at the end of the Grievance Form located in: City Public drive > City Forms folder > Grievance Forms folder

Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)

When an employee is not performing at the level of “successful” under the City’s performance evaluation system, a jointly created plan is created to help the employee perform at an acceptable level. The contents of a PIP normally include action items such as performance standards or metrics, timelines or due dates, or other descriptions of behavior that must be improved.

If you have any further questions contact the Organizational Development section at:

City Departments On The Web