- Replace incandescent lightbulbs with compact fluorescents or LEDs. Compact fluorescents use up to 75% less energy than incandescent lightbulbs.*
- Set the thermostate at 65 degrees in winter and at least five degrees lower when sleeping or away. Please note: Higher temperatures are recommended for homes with infants, elderly or sick individuals. Set the thermostat at 78 degrees in the summer.*
- Keep direct sunlight out in the summer; let it in during winter. Drapes, shutters, awnings, and glass with reflective film and solar screenings help.*
- Find air leaks through gaps in windows and doors and seal them with weatherization strips
- Set your computer settings to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. To set your computer settings, follow these easy instructions: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_users
*Information courtesy of El Paso Electric (http://www.epelectric.com/).