Environmental Services

El Paso It's All Good
Environmental Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Every day the Environmental Services Department (ESD) receives calls from El Paso residents wanting information about services such as garbage and curbside recycling collection to city ordinances to animal services.
This Frequently Asked Questions section was designed to help educate the community about our services. If you don't find what you are looking for in this section, please contact the Environmental Services Department at (915) 212-6000.
Air Quality
What can I do to improve the air quality in my community?
  • Air pollution can affect our health and the environment. There are a number of things all of us can do to reduce air pollution, keep the air cleaner and protect our health. You can find tips on our Air Quality site.
What services does the City’s Air Quality Program offer?
  • The Air Quality Program is composed of two sections: Enforcement and Monitoring. Enforcement focuses on conducting inspections of businesses and responding to citizen concerns. The monitoring section monitors pollution with a monitoring network and oversees necessary repair, maintenance, and quality-control activities.
Animal Services
Where is the City’s Animal Shelter located?
  • The Animal Shelter is located at 5001 Fred Wilson. It's open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
How can I report a dog(s) that is running loose in my neighborhood?
  • If you feel the dog running loose in your neighborhood is vicious and may pose a threat to the community, call 911.  Non-emergency calls can be made to Police or Code Compliance at 3-1-1.
What should I do if I find a lost dog or cat?
  • If you find a lost or stray dog or cat, you can take it to the Animal Shelter located at 5001 Fred Wilson or call the Animal Services Division at (915) 842-1000 to request to have it picked up.
How can I find out if my lost pet was impounded by Animal Services?
  • To find out if your pet was picked up by Animal Services you may visit the Animal Services lost pet section online or visit the shelter.  You can also get some help in the community bulletin of the Animal Services Division. 
How can I report feral (stray) cats in my neighborhood?
  • If you have a problem with feral cats in your neighborhood, report them online or call (915) 842-1000.
Does Animal Services have cat traps that I can borrow?
  • Yes, Animal Services loans out traps to El Paso residents. There is currently no fee for this service. To learn more please call (915) 842-1000.
How can I adopt a pet from the City’s Animal Shelter?
  • You can adopt a dog or cat by visiting the Animal Shelter from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. For more information contact Animal Services online or call (915) 842-1061.
How much does it cost to adopt a pet from the City’s Animal Shelter?
  • It costs up to $110 to adopt a dog or cat. The adoption fee covers spay/neuter surgery, microchip, rabies vaccination and registration. The shelter sometimes offers adoption discounts. For more information visit the Animal Shelter’s adoption program online or call (915) 842-1061.
What is Feline Fridays?
  • Feline Friday’s is an adoption program created by the Animal Services Division that allows the public to adopt adult cats and kittens for half-price. Every Friday the public can adopt an adult cat or kitten for $50 at the Animal Shelter. The fee covers spay/neuter surgery, microchip, rabies vaccination and registration.
How can I get my pet spayed/neutered?
  • The Animal Services Division only spays and neuters animals that are adopted through the shelter. However, the Animal Services Division has community partners that offer low-cost spay/neuter services. To learn more visit our Animal Services site or call us at (915) 842-1000.
Does Animal Services provide vaccination services at the Animal Shelter?
  • No, pet owners must vaccinate their pets through a veterinarian’s office. Only dogs and cats that are housed at the shelter and placed for adoption or returned to their owners are vaccinated.
Does my pet have to be micro-chipped?
  • Yes, by law all dogs or cats must have a microchip.
Does the Animal Services Division offer microchip services?
  • No, pet owners must take their pets to a veterinarian to get micro-chipped.  Only dogs and cats that are housed at the shelter and placed for adoption or returned to their owners are micro-chipped.
Where can I report animal cruelty and/or abuse?
  • If you suspect animal cruelty of any kind, call the El Paso Police Department or the Code Compliance Division at 3-1-1. 
My neighbor’s dog barking is a public nuisance. Where can I file a complaint?
My neighbor won’t clean up after his/her pets. Where can I file a complaint?
  • The City requires pet owners to properly take care of their pets by providing adequate food, plenty of fresh water, and suitable shelter. To file a complaint contact the Code Compliance Division at 3-1-1.
How can I volunteer at City’s the Animal Shelter?
  • The City’s Animal Shelter is always looking for volunteers. If you’re interested, you must be at least 18 years of age and must fill out a volunteer application. For more information call (915) 842-1000.
Citizen Collection Stations (CSS) / Landfill
What are Citizen Collection Stations and where are they located?
  • Citizen Collection Stations (CCS) provide residents with convenient locations to drop off old furniture, appliances, tires and hazardous household waste such as oil and cleaning fluids. Visit our Citizen Collection Stations site for hours and locations.
Where is the City landfill located?
  • The Greater El Paso Landfill is located at 2300 Darrington Road, in Clint. It’s open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Where can I dispose of furniture, appliances and used electronics?
Where can I dispose of used tires?
What's the maximum load accepted at the CCS?
  • Four cubic yards, which is equivalent to a full pick-up truck load. For standard bed pick-ups this is a full load that is approximately 3-foot high above the bed of the pick-up.
Can I bring Construction or Demolition Material (C&D) to the CCS if it is coming from my residence?
  • No, C&D is not allowed at the CCS even if it is coming from your residence. The City's Greater El Paso Landfill located at 2300 Darrington Road will accept C&D or waste from commercial businesses. The cost is $26/ton with a minimum charge of $16.
Can I bring a trailer to the site?
  • Single axle trailers are allowed at the CCS. Double axle trailers 4-feet or longer are not allowed.
Can I take my recyclable materials to the CCS?
  • Yes, at the CCS there are separate containers for recyclable items (Plastics #1 - #7, Cardboard, Paper, and Metal cans) and scrap metal. However, if you have a large quantity of recyclables, such as from a business, you can contact Friedman Recycling and arrange to take them directly to the recycling facility. Friedman Recycling is located at 5835 Wren Road (Phone # 755-3900).
Is medical waste accepted at the CCS?
  • Yes, household medical waste such as sharps (used needles) are accepted at the CCS. Place your sharps in a puncture resistant container such as a detergent or bleach container and label the container. The CCS attendant should be informed of the materials so they can be handled as Household Hazardous Waste.
Code Compliance
How can I get a copy of the Municipal Code?
How can I report suspected code violations?
Where do I report illegal dumping?
  • Reports about illegal dumping may be filed online or by calling (915)599-6290. Illegal dumping is investigated by the Code Compliance Division in conjunction with law enforcement agencies. Illegal dumping in progress should be reported immediately to 911.
Where can I report an unkempt property?
  • Neglected property may be reported online or by calling Code Compliance Division at (915) 599-6290.  
Where can I file a complaint about a property with tall weeds?
  • It is the property owner’s responsibility to keep his/her property maintained. Tall weeds may be reported online or by calling the Code Compliance Division at (915) 599-6290. 
Who do I call to report junk vehicles on private property?
  • Junk vehicles are allowed to be stored in a residential area if they are covered with a special covering. You may report junk vehicles in your neighborhood online or by calling (915) 599-6290.
What are some of the most common code violations?
  • The most common violations are related to yard maintenance, auto repairs, commercial vehicles in residential areas, construction without a permit, garage and yard sales, domestic storage, prohibited signs, maintenance of walls and fences, off-street parking, prohibited sales, junked vehicles, placing refuse in containers of others, maintenance of sidewalks, illegal dumping and sidewalk obstructions. To learn more visit the Code Compliance Division online.
What can I do if my landlord refuses to maintain the property that I’m leasing or renting?
  • Complaints about electrical, plumbing or other property maintenance issues are investigated by the Code Compliance Division. You may file a report online or by calling (915) 599-6290.
Where do I report concerns about public swimming pools?
  • The Code Compliance Division inspects public swimming pools to ensure that they are meeting health and safety standards. Reports my made be filed online or by calling (915) 599-6290.
Where can I report concerns about shops that offer tattoos and body piercings?
  • The Code Compliance Division regulates tattoo and body piercing establishments and artists. Reports my made be filed online or by calling (915) 599-6290
Where can I look up a code enforcement case?
Curbside Recycling
Is recycling mandatory in the City of El Paso?
  • No. It is not mandatory for everyone to recycle. However, it is encouraged.  Recycling improves our community and the environment by saving energy, reducing pollution and saving landfill space. To learn more about recycling visit recycleElPaso.org.  
Who do I call if my recycling bin needs repairs or replacing?
  • If your recycling bin needs repairs or replacing, you may report it by calling (915) 212-6000. Environmental Services does not charge for repairs unless the damage to the bin was caused by the customer.
What items can be placed in the recycling bin?
  • Paper, plastic and metal can go in your recycle bin. There is a complete list of what goes in the blue bin at recycleElPaso.org or by calling (915) 212-6000.
Dead Animal Removal Services
How can I get a dead animal removed from my property?
  • You can have a dead animal removed from your property for a small fee by calling the Environmental Services Department at (915) 212-6000.
Where do I report a dead animal that I saw on the road?
  • Dead animals on city-maintained roads are removed by Environmental Services Department. To report a dead animal on a city-maintained road call (915) 212-6000. Environmental Services does not charge a fee for removing dead animals from City roadways. Dead animals on I-10, U.S.-54, Cesar Chavez Border Highway and Loop 375 and their respective access roads should be reported to the Texas Department of Transportation at (915) 857-5041.
Household Hazardous Waste
Where can I dispose of household hazardous waste like paint and cleaning fluids?
Special Pick-ups
I don’t have a truck, how can I get rid of old furniture, appliances and other large items?
  • The Environmental Services Department through its Special Pick-ups program will pick-up bulky items such as appliances, furniture and yard waste from homes for a small fee.  For more information call (915) 212-6000.
Training and Public Programs
Who do I call to request a guest speaker or presentation about Environmental Services Department programs?
Garbage Collections
When is garbage collected?
  • Garbage is collected once a week. The collection schedule is available on online.  If you’re still having trouble figuring out your collection day, please call the Environmental Services Department at (915) 212-6000 to reschedule a pickup for another day.
What can I do if I forgot to put out my garbage bin the day it was scheduled to get picked up?
  • If you forgot to place your garbage bin on the curb, you can call the Environmental Services Department at (915) 212-6000 to reschedule a pickup. There is a fee for this service.
How can I get my garbage bin replaced or repaired?
  • Report garbage bins that need repairs or replacing to the Environmental Services Department at (915) 212-6000. Environmental Services does not charge for repairs unless the damage to the bin was caused by the customer.
Why do the trucks have to start so early?
  • Municipal regulations allow for garbage collections to begin at 5 A.M. By allowing our trucks to hit the road early our drivers are able to avoid traffic congestion near schools and on freeways. In addition, the City's landfill closes by 4 P.M. so our drivers must finish their collection routes in time to allow for the waste to be disposed at the landfill.
Why do you have several trucks going down the same street?
  • Some routes have up to three trucks that will travel on the same street. One truck will be an automated side loader for garbage, another will be an automated Side loader for recycling, and the third could be a Rear loader doing manual pickups for elderly and disabled citizens who have been preapproved by the department for this kind of service. An automated side loader truck has a mechanical arm that empties the bins.
Vector Control
What is Vector Control?
  • The Vector Control Program works toward reducing the population of animals and insects capable of transmitting disease or if they become a public nuisance.  Vectors include rodents, fleas, ticks or mosquitoes.
How can I report a mosquito problem?
  • If you have a mosquito problem in your neighborhood, you can report it online or by calling (915) 599-6290.
Will the City spray my property for mosquitoes and other insects?
  • No, the City does not spray private property unless it has obtained a court order to access the property. The Code Compliance Division provides vector control services in public places, such as ditches, roadways, and ponding areas, to try to control the mosquito population in the community. Property owners should contact a pest control company to address mosquitoes on their properties.
How can I prevent mosquitoes from breeding on my property?
Who do I call about rats in my neighborhood?
  • If you spot rats or other rodents in public areas in your neighborhood, you may report it online or by calling (915) 599-6290.
City Departments On The Web